Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Spring is in the air

I absolutely love this time of year. The smell of rain and freshly tilled earth. The sounds of the birds in the trees early in the morning. The excitement of hitting the first tee shot of the new golf season. All good things.




One of the thing I look forward to the most every spring is Cub Scout Day Camp. I have the great opportunity to be the day camp director for the Boy Scouts of America, Black Otter District, here in Montana. It is a volunteer position and I wouldn't trade it for the world. For one week every spring, we have about 300 kids come spend time with us in the "wilderness". They are taught basic skills like knot tying, knife safety, first aid, and other fun but useful stuff. All of the things they learn help them work towards their advancement in the cub scout program. Check out our web sight here.









Truth be told, I am a little bit of a ham when it comes to these types of things. I love getting into costume and playing a characer that goes along with what ever theme we have decide for the year. Last year our theme was a Bug's Life. So, I put together a large army ant costume and played a general who was recruiting for his bug army. The kids loved it. This year our theme is Knights of the Big Sky. I am working on a full suit of platemail armor, it should be a lot of fun.
















I am not sure what brings me the biggest thrill about being involved with day camp, the boys or the adults. I have such a wonderful and talented staff and enjoy spending time with them so much that I am always a little bummed when camp is over and we don't get to see much of each other until we start planning the next year. It also gives me such a thrill when I am at the store and a young boy just has to come up and say Hi and tell me what a great time he had at camp.


I hope everyone has as much fun this springs as I will. I am off to build a castle.

1 comment:

Joan said...

You cute little scout leader. You really are a ham and this forum suits you to a T. I vote for the sword in the stone, not because it's the cutest but because of the meaning. I'm not sure what meaning YOU want it to have for camp but to me it means if they utilize all their talents and will, they can surmount anything and achieve their goal or win the prize. But then again, go ahead and slay their dragon is cute too. Whatever. LOL By the way I love your blog. Keep at it.

Mom