Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Give a man a fish...

Sorry it has been awhile since I updated my blog, but life has been a little busy for a few weeks. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I am a day camp leader for the area and we just has our annual camp. I was pretty tied up for the couple of weeks leading up to camp getting everything ready, and then of course the week of camp, and then you have to take everything down and put it all away when you are done. I have several things planned so watch for some updates over the next couple of days, and yes, there will be some pictures of day camp.


Alex and I decided to go back and try our luck again at the paddlefishing. My boss's wife Robin, had her tag still unfilled as well, so we all car pooled together to go see what we could do. On the very last day of the season we got up 2:3o in the morning and took a little road trip. We arrived at the river precisely at 6:00 a.m. (the time when they let you start fishing). Robin was first up and she caught a 19 lbs fish in about 6 casts, so things were looking pretty good for us. I let Alex take the next turn and after about 12 casts he got tired and we needed to put some new hooks and weights on. While he was resting, I decided to give my pole a cast and hooked a 29 lbs fish on the very first cast. This of course got Alex excited and he was ready to go again. After about 6-7 more casts, Alex finally got his 23 lbs fish. It was 7:05 when we were standing in line to get our fish cleaned. There is a local company that makes caviar out of the eggs so, they have a free service and will clean any fish caught as long as they get to keep any eggs they find in the process. It a pretty sweet deal, fish and wildlife is there and checks all the fish before they are cleaned. They weigh it for you as well, so you know who gets braggin rights. When it is all done and said, you get handed back a bag full of fillets and go on your merry way.

This is what joy looks like when you take a picture

For all that work this is what you get.

Yep, it's officially smaller than dad's.

Let me show how this is done.

If you look carefully, you can see my redneck showing here.

3 comments:

Joan said...

I still can't get over the looks of these fish. They are so prehistoric looking and almost scary. I think if I hooked one I would probbly scream and let it go.
Congratulations, and now you have food for the freezer too. I may need to taste it sometime.

Mom

Colett (*.*) said...

Finally we hear from you, you were looking good on TV! How can you eat those things when you know what they look like? Although I think it would be fun to reel in something that big!

Richard said...

Shon, those are some awesome fish! I guess it is hard to get a license since they are listed as endangered in Montana. How are they to eat? I was lucky enough to take a trip a trip to Great Slave Lake in the Northwest Territories of Canada a couple of years ago and caught a lot of 25-35pound lake trout, but because of the problems of getting them home from Canada I put them back. My oldest brother, Lewis is a fishing guide up there. Uncle Richard